The Church of the Holy Mother of God in Voskepar is located in Tavush Province, about 400 meters northeast of the village of Voskepar, on the left-bank slope of the Voskepar River. One of the earliest known written descriptions of the monument was made in 1884 by folklorist S. Kamalyan, who described it as a cross-shaped monastery built of finely dressed stone, situated on the eastern side of the old village.
Scholars have expressed differing views regarding the dating of the church. Nevertheless, it is generally attributed to the 7th century.
The Church of the Holy Mother of God is a small, centrally domed tetraconch church and is classified among the Mastara-type structures of Armenian architecture.
Elongated rectangular sacristies are built on either side of the eastern, main apse. Inside the main apse, an important feature characteristic of early medieval churches has been preserved: a stone stepped bench extending along the entire semicircular wall.
The church is built of large, finely dressed blocks of yellowish-brown and pink felsitic tuff. Mason’s marks have survived on some of the stones. The window frames are relatively restrained in decoration, although two of them preserve ornamental motifs resembling fleur-de-lis. Based on these architectural details, researchers associate the church with 7th-century Armenian architecture.
Between 1975 and 1977, the church underwent a complete restoration according to a project by architect Hrachya Gasparyan.